From: Paul Kiel [mailto:paul@xmlhelpline.com]
Sent: 19 June 2008 15:16
To: 'Boris Kolpackov'; Adam Retter
Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Subject: RE: Purpose of <xs:sequence/>

I've seen this happen a lot.  If a source has a very large data model
and/or
schema, they may only want to communicate to a trading partner the data
nodes they need to care about.  Who wants to wade through a sometimes
gigantic schema when you only need to populate a minority of fields?

And so the data model removes unneeded data elements from the schema.
This
leaves empty sequence nodes.

Removing unneeded elements from a schema is a common request I have
gotten
from clients.  It has caused me to create a real simple xslt based
solution
which I call the "schema lightener".  It is explained here:
http://www.xmlhelpline.com/tools/index.html

FWIW,

Paul Kiel

W. Paul Kiel
xmlHelpline.com Consulting
paul@xmlhelpline.com
work: 919-846-0224
cell: 919-449-8801
website: http://www.xmlhelpline.com
Your helpline for data integration solutions.