RE: XML Schema and EBNF

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 16:48:43 +0100
To: "'Pete Cordell'" <petexmldev@codalogic.com>, "'Suresh Joshee'" <sjoshee@gmail.com>
Cc: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

> > Actually I wanted to describe mutations in XML Schema
> preferably using Z
> > notations. To describe mutations, I need  formal
> description of  language
> > preferably in BNF (EBNF). Is it good idea to use DTD for
> the XML Schema at
> > the start point and add more constraint rules that is not
> included in DTD definitions.

I don't really understand what you want to do, but I would suggest that you
model schemas at the level of a collection of schema components, and not at
the level of the grammar for schema documents. This will make your life much
simpler by removing many superficial variations.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/