RE: default value for a simpleType with restriction

No, it's not possible. The default value can be declared as a property of
the attribute declaration or the attribute use, but it is not a property of
the type.

I guess the theory behind that is that a type is a set of values and
operations defined on those values, and the notion of a default doesn't fit
into this definition. You would get into awkward questions about whether two
types that differed only in the default value were really the same type.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/