Re: Impact of XML on Data Modeling

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 16:39:01 -0000, Bob Schloss <rschloss@us.ibm.com>
wrote:

> To ground this in some of the work my colleagues and I are doing at IBM
> Research, we have developed strategies so that XPath addressing can be
> used against any kind of data, without it necessarily being converted as
> whole into XML in advance.  We call this our Virtual XML work, and you
> can
> find an introduction to that work at
> http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/sj/452/rose.pdf .  See a trial, known
> as Virtual XML Garden, on the IBM alphaWorks site:
> http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/virtualxml .
> In this case, the XML Schema is definitely being used as a logical model.

Nomenclature is a funny old thing.  I would argue that you don't access
data via a logical model, you access it via a physical model.  That
physical model might be virtualised in some sense, as it is with the
Virtual XML Garden; there might be multiple physical models, and some
physical models might be derived from other physical models (e.g. Java/C#
classes "compiled" from XML schemas).

XML is a generic data representation, but it is still a physical
representation.

Cheers, Tony.
--
Anthony B. Coates