Re: Impact of XML on Data Modeling

Dear Scott,

This is an interesting point.

I understand that the 3-level of abstractions for modeling data, Conceptual,
Logical, and Physical are difference as follow:
Conceptual: the model at this level is platform-independent and also could
be logically modeled using any modeling technique, ERD, OO model, or XML
Schema.
Logical: is also platform-independent but it is based on specific modeling
technique.
Physical: is platform dependent.

These three concepts have been addressed very well in the area of DB data
modeling. You will find the ER modeling tools, such as power designer,
supporting the three levels, but the the context of RDB.

However, in the area of XML, I did not come across any paper regarding that.

I agree with you that "I would say that an XML schema would correspond to
the logical data model"

Because, XML schema is based on a specific model and at the same time is
platform-independent.

from my point of view, the implementation of the XML Schema  is a physical
model that is platform dependent.

I do believe that as the ER modeling tools, supported the three levels of
abstractions,  an XML Schema modeling tool could support these three level.

Best Regards,
Essam Mansour