RE: 'form' property under schema composition

>	Your answer in (a) means that the same 'form' value (explicit or
implicit) that I'd calculate for an element or for an attribute in the same
XML Schema file or document should be expected when this file is
participating in schema compositions, i.e., being included and/or imported.
Is that correct?

Yes, I think so. "form" appears only in the XML representation, not in the
schema component model. In 3.3.2, for local element declarations, we read:

{target namespace}	If form is present and its .actual value. is
qualified, or if form is absent and the .actual value. of elementFormDefault
on the <schema> ancestor is qualified, then the .actual value. of the
targetNamespace [attribute] of the parent <schema> element information item,
or .absent. if there is none, otherwise .absent..

Include and import operations do not change the <schema> ancestor of an
<element> element information item. So I think this is perfectly clear.

>	If a top level element or attribute in a chameleon schema (the file
they are defined in does not define a target namespace but the
importing/including schema does) then they are qualified in the target
namespace of the importing/including schema. Is that correct?

Yes. See 4.2.1, Schema Representation Constraint: Inclusion Constraints and
Semantics, rule 3.2.1. Note that in this rule "code" should read "form".

>	What happens to unqualified (form='unqualified') top level elements
and attributes that are being imported/included into another schema that has
a target namespace defined? I suspect that they remain unqualified. Is that
correct?

The 1.0 spec is a little bit unsatisfactory in this area, because it talks
about xs:include operating at the level of schema components, and then it
talks about declarations "whose code [sic, read form] was qualified" as if
the schema component has some memory of the original XML representation.
It's also rather unsatisfactory to have rules expressed in the subjunctive
"anywhere the absent targetNamespace would have appeared [if it were not
absent]". But given these infelicities, I think one can only read the spec
as meaning that unqualified declarations remain unqualified.

The 1.1 specification has cleaned this up significantly. It defines
chameleon include as being the inclusion of a schema document created by
taking the referenced document and transforming it to add a targetNamespace
attribute to the <schema> element.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

	Shlomo.