Re: assertion failures - providing feedback

I think the point is that XML Schema has a uniform way of reflecting
validation results, and the proposed xs:assertion mechanism uses that in a
consistent manner.  Note that in many cases XSD validators are embedded in
other programs.  Sometimes having a textual error message as in schematron
is helpful, but often programs prefer programmatic interfaces.   While XSD
does not mandate any particular API for such purposes, it is intended to
support use through APIs.  Another complication with error messages is the
potential requirement in some situations to allow messages to be provided
in multiple languages, such as English, French and Chinese.  As has been
noted, use of <xs:annotation> on assertions is a potential building block
for hanging textual descriptions onto assertions, should you wish to.

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street