From: David Ezell [mailto:David_E3@VERIFONE.com]
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2007 11:24 AM
To: Fortuno, Adam
Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Subject: RE: [BULK] Re: Data Modeling

Adam:
(Agreeing with Pete.)

Part of the problem is that XML can be used for many different purposes,
and my experience is that various graphical models can be helpful in
various circumstances.

For instance, ERDs are quite useful if your basic application structure
is based on a relational database, and you're using XML to move that
data around.  OTOH UML diagrams can be useful (like those in newer
versions of XML Spy) for object serialization scenarios or for modeling
document relationships.  Stylus Studio and oXygen are nice tools as well
with their own ways of representing things.

As far as I can tell, no one has yet invented a perfect tool/language in
which to model the whole of XML.  If you find one (and I'm sure there
will be one at some point) please let me know!  For now, I'm afraid you
have to choose one that best fits the needs of your application.

Best regards,
David Ezell