RE: Check two elements are not deep equal

In 1.1 - as implemented by Saxon 9.0 - you can do

<xs:assert test="not(deep-equal(old, new))"/>

But if it's as simple as this I think you can also do it in 1.0:

* define that both old and new exist in the usual way

* define at the update level

<xs:unique>
  <xs:selector xpath="*"/>
  <xs:field xpath="data1"/>