RE: XSD with keys... what to use in Java to process XML?

You need to say what your requirements are. Saying that your requirement is
to "leverage" your schema seems an odd way of expressing it.

I don't know of any technology that enables you to use key/keyref
definitions for anything other than validation. If you want to use keys for
navigation, use XSLT, with local key definitions within your stylesheet.
There's no reason why these should bear any relationship to the keys used
for validation. If you want to get maximum value from your schema, you can
use schema-aware XSLT. I don't think any current schema-aware XSLT
processors will exploit the key/keyref definitions for strong typing or
optimization, but it's certainly not beyond the bounds of what's possible in
principle.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/