Re: XML Schemas patterns (was: Re: Defining recursive elements?)

I often see things like:

  <element name="thing">
    <sequence>
        <element name="height" type="measurementType"/>
        <element name="width" type="measurementType"/>
    </sequence>
  </element>

<complexType name="measurementType">
    <simpleContent>
        <extension base="float">
            <attribute name="units" type="string"/>
        </extension>...

To me, this results in a lot of duplication if everything is to be made
global.  I think it would also be harder to read as you would see the local
ref to height and then have to find the global definition (which could be a
long way away) to find out what it's type is.

Similarly, the following seems simpler (and thus preferable) to me:

  <element name="tvProgramme">
    <sequence>
        <element name="start" type="datetime"/>
        <element name="stop" type="datetime"/>
    </sequence>
  </element>

instead of:

  <element name="tvProgramme">
    <sequence>
        <element ref="start"/>
        <element ref="stop"/>
    </sequence>
  </element>

    <element name="start" type="datetime"/>
    <element name="stop" type="datetime"/>

Regards,

Pete.
Pete Cordell
Tech-Know-Ware Ltd
for XML Schema to C++ data binding visit
 http://www.tech-know-ware.com/lmx/
 http://www.codalogic.com/lmx/

----- Original Message From: <noah_mendelsohn...>