Re: Permit (greedy) conflicting wildcards

Pete Cordell writes:

> If not the default, then what I'm looking for is something like:
>
>     notQName="##localElements"
>
> which does not conflict with any of the elements that have already been
> defined in the particle (and non-elemental child particles, and parents
of
> non-elemental particles etc. etc.)

Let me get this straight.  You have a schema that validates instances
like:

<root>
   <l1a/>
   <l1b/>
   <l1c>
     <l2a>
     </l2a>
     <l2b>
        <l3a/>
        <l3b/>
     </l2b>
     <l2c>
     </l2c>
   </l1c>
   <l1d/>
   </root

In case it's not clear, <lxy> decodes as nesting level=x.    Presume these
are defined with the obvious sequences and global element decls in the
schema.  Let's assume that type CT12b is the complex type of the element
named "l1c".  If I use a wildcard in that type:

        <complexType name="ctlic">
                <sequence>
               <element ref="l12a"/>
               <element ref="l12b"/>
               <element ref="l12c"/>
                   <any notQname="##defined"/>
                </sequence>
        </complesType>

You want that wildcard to disallow <root> <l12a> <li12b> <l12c> and maybe
<l13a> and <l13b> (not sure if you meant descendents or children), but you
would not disallow <l1a> or <l1b> which are siblings?

Let's take an example from the schema language itself.  If we used an NIS
wildcard in the declaration of the <xsd:sequence> element, for example, it
would not match <xsd:element>, because that's already directly referenced
as a legal child of <xsd:sequence>.  It would, however, allow
<xsd:import>, since that is neither a legal ancestor or declared
descendent.  So, it would validate:

                <xsd:sequence>
               <xsd:element ref="x"/>
               <xsd:import namespace="n"/>
                </xsd:sequence>

Interestingly, I do not think it would validate

                <xsd:sequence>
               <xsd:element ref="x"/>
               <xsd:redefine ... />
                </xsd:sequence>

because I believe that <xsd:sequence> is a legal descendent of
<xsd:redefine>.     Is that really what you want?  Could you please
clarify what you think is desirable?  Thank you.

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street