RE: xsd:any validation for elements

The relevant text in the standard is pretty convoluted; the best thing I
can point at is the prose in section 3.10.1 of part 1 of the second
edition.

By way of example, though, against the following schema:

  <xs:element name="root">
    <xs:complexType>
      <xs:any namespace="##any" processContents="skip"/>
    </xs:complexType>
  </xs:element>
</xs:schema>

The following instance is invalid because the "inner" element doesn't
match its type, even though it's validated against a "skip" wildcard:

<root xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
  <inner xsi:type="xs:int">foo</inner>
</root>

If you replaced "foo" with a valid int, the instance would be valid.  If
you then changed the "skip" in the schema to "strict" it would still be
valid, even though there's not an element declaration for "inner", because
the xsi:type attribute names a type to validate against.

My best reading of "Validation Rule: Schema-Validity Assessment (Element)"
in section 3.3.4 is that, if a strict or lax wildcard (or a normal element
reference) finds a specific element declaration, then validate against it
(and xsi:type must be derived from the element's type); otherwise if
there's an xsi:type attribute, validate against that; otherwise for a skip
or lax wildcard validate against xs:anyType; otherwise an error.  In
particular here you're trying to find the [validity] of the element in the
PSVI, which is in section 3.3.5, and explains that if that algorithm fails
to find anything and the .context-determined declaration. is mustFind
(that is, you have a strict wildcard) then the element's [validity] is
invalid.

David Maze
Engineer, IBM WebSphere DataPower SOA Appliances
One Rogers Street, Cambridge, MA 02142
Phone: 617-693-1306  Fax: 617-693-5541