From: Michael Kay [mailto:mike@saxonica.com]
Sent: 11 June 2007 15:42
To: Dan Maharry; xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Subject: RE: Discrepancies in the W3C Schema docs?

> My point was that the NMTOKENS type *is* defined explicitly
> as non-zero-length in the schema doc while the NMTOKEN type
> is not. As you say, it is only defined as non-zero-length in
> the grammar rules in the XML 1.0 spec and not in the schema
> docs which is my issue.
>
> "Any property identified as a having a set, subset or *list*
> value may have an empty value unless this is explicitly ruled
> out: this is not the same as absent." Says the schema doc. I
> imply from that it must be ruled out in the schema doc.

Well, firstly, NMTOKEN isn't a set, subset, or list, it's a string.

Secondly, a normative reference from the Schema specification to the XML
specification has the same force as spelling out the rules in the schema
specification.

Thirdly, it is in fact spelt out in the schema specification: the
definition
of the xs:NMTOKEN data type in the schema for schemas has <xs:pattern
value="\c+" id="NMTOKEN.pattern">. (Search in XML Schema Part 2 for
'simpleType name="NMTOKEN"' to find it).

> > for minor comments like these, the best approach is to enter a bug
> report
> > - one per problem - in the bugzilla database.
>
> Where is the bugzilla database to do this?

http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/query.cgi

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

--------
This Message has been Scanned by SurfControl(c) Email Filter
--------

The Midcounties Co-operative is an innovative co-operative business, owned by its customers and staff in the 9 counties it spans. We trade in a
number of retail sectors including food, travel, funerals, motors, childcare, pharmacy, post offices and IT. We are proud to be a successful
co-operative, founded on co-operative values and principles that co-ops share throughout the world.

This e-mail is confidential and is for the named recipient(s) only. If you are not the named recipient(s) please do not disseminate or copy this
e-mail, but please delete it and any copies from your computer. The Midcounties Co-operative has taken reasonable precautions to ensure that
any attachment to this e-mail has been checked for viruses. However, we cannot accept liability for any damage sustained as a result of
any such viruses and advise you to carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment. Furthermore, we do not accept responsibility for any
change made to this message after it was sent by the sender.

*** The Midcounties Co-operative works to protect our environment ***
*** Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to ***

This Message has been Scanned by SurfControl(c) Email Filter