RE: Interaction of explicit attributes and wildcards

I'm not sure how my message of 8 Dec came to be reposted, but I'm glad it's
caused some discussion.

This situation can't occur with elements because UPA prevents an element
particle overlapping with an element wildcard particle. There's no
corresponding rule for attributes: the explicit attribute wins over the
attribute wildcard. It's not clear why the rules for elements/attributes
here are asymmetric.

Rather than making this case an error (an invalid schema), it would seem
more helpful to define the rules so that use="prohibited" means what it
says: an attribute of this name is prohibited, despite the presence of a
wildcard that would otherwise permit it.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/