RE: regex help

Looks to me something like

<xs:simpleType name="quotedString">
  <xs:restriction base="xs:string">
    <xs:pattern value='".*"'/>
  </xs:restriction>
</xs:simpleType>

<xs:simpleType name="listOfQuotedStrings">
  <xs:list itemType="quotedString"/>
</xs:simpleType>

or if you don't want to use a list type,

<xs:simpleType name="listOfQuotedStrings">
  <xs:restriction base="xs:string">
    <xs:pattern value='(("[^"]*")\s+)*'/>
  </xs:restriction></xs:simpleType>
</xs:simpleType>

But perhaps I've misread you. When you say (The double quote here is chosen
as an arbitrary delimeter and has no special significance.) do you mean you
want to allow the user to choose any delimiter they like? That's difficult
without backreferences.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/