Re: Permit (greedy) conflicting wildcards

Pete Cordell writes:

> I think it will be possible to find many cases where such an
> extension does not make sense.  But I also think that it will
> be possible to find many cases where it does make sense.

Sure, but you can always allow for it.  For example, you could do:

        <choice>
                <element ref="html"/>
                <any notQname="##defined"/>
        </choice>

Many other strategies are possible.  For example, instead of the ref to
the HTML element, that could be a reference to a group with a choice of
several elements.  The point is, if it's in your schema, you tend to know
about it, and can reference it if you want to allow it.

Furthermore, nothing requires you to use a NIS wildcard.  You've
acknowledged it's useful in some cases.  In the others, use something
else!

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street