RE: Redefine and Import used together - is this valid?

The rule imposed by XML Schema is that you can't use two different types
with the same name in the same validation episode. So you can't use a type
and its redefinition.

Many products have a schema cache of one kind or another. Whether such a
cache allows you to have more than one type with the same name is very much
implementation-defined, because the spec confines itself to the behaviour of
a single validation episode. Saxon, for example, will prevent you redefining
a type if the base type in the schema cache has already been used for
validation, even in a previous episode.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/