RE: Deriving from xs:anySimpleType

A couple of questions:

(a) is there a rule already that prevents a non-vacuous restriction from
anySimpleType, that is, a restriction containing facets?

(b) Sandy seemed to suggest that if you do such a non-vacuous restriction,
the type you get *is* anySimpleType, rather than being a new type derived
from it. That seems preferable to me in the case of the simple content type
of a complex-type-with-simple-content, though I can see the difficulty if
its also allowed for named simple types.

(My implementation problem here is that I have three subclasses of
UserSimpleType, called UserAtomicType, UserListType, and UserUnionType, and
it seems I'm going to have to introduce a fourth, or to make the parent
class non-abstract. Or change the design entirely - I have a recurrent
problem in representing simple types whose variety is not yet known because
of late binding.)