Re: Creating schemas for other people's namespaces - what can you do and what can't you do?

On Jun 19, 2006, at 17:37, Hugh Wallis wrote:
> Specifically the questions I seek input on are as follows:
>
> 1) Should implementers of specifications that do not provide
> normative schemas for the namespaces they define confine themselves
> rigorously to those things that are explicitly defined by the
> specification in question

That would certainly strike me as a best practice. Are there cases in
which this would not work? Also, I would expect that it should be
possible to produce one schema document that only has strictly what
is in the specification, and another that includes it to add some
sugar, e.g. attribute groups. Of course, that still leaves any amount
of leeway for incompatibility between schemata for the given
namespace, as well as misinterpretations.

> 2) Should specification authors provide NORMATIVE schemas for any
> namespaces that their specifications define so as to avoid any
> possibility of incompatible/non-interoperable implementations
> resulting.

I think that any W3C WG that produces a vocabulary for XML RFC-2119-
SHOULD produce a normative schema for that namespace. This is
generally considered good practice but AFAIK is not enforced by the
publication process (I don't remember it being mentioned by the QA
guidelines either, though I might be forgetting).

The problem with the above is that it is all nice and well but it
does not address the nest of snakes of which schema language to use,
and of whether an XML Schema version should be produced. On the one
hand it won't help your problem much if you're using XML Schema and
the WG in question only has a RelaxNG schema, on the other hand I
would expect much screaming to follow if any single schema language
were enforced. Conversion is appealing, but the EXI WG's quick
investigations in that area tend to show that there doesn't seem to
currently be a tool that can automate schema conversions while
guaranteeing that the output schema is correct.

--
Robin Berjon
    Senior Research Scientist