Re: Xml Schema profile

> Jeff Rafter writes:
>
>  > Actually, support for redefine is fairly surprising.
>
> Hmm.  That can be read a few different ways.

Heh. Support for redefine is fairly robust and widespread. I would say
that as recently as a year ago I ran into problems with the redefine
feature in validators-- more recently however I have found the problems
gone.

In general there is little or no support for redefine in databinding
tools. My thinking was that they would follow the pattern that Michael
set forth which is to use the last effective redefine and never redefine
a used type. It is a simplification, but it is sensible.

I agree that the feature is a favorite, but the fact is that it confuses
a lot of people when approaching XML Schemas from a type hierarchy
perspective. It also confuses a lot of validators when you get strange
naming rules involved in the grammar (e.g. chameleon components). That
leaves little room in between. That's the space where it makes sense.
Especially for extending fixed schemas to add components from third parties.

Cheers,
Jeff