RE: How to consolidate multiple xsd files?

Eliminating duplicates reached by following the several xsl:include's to the
same target is not difficult. Using XSLT 2.0, write a function that given an
xs:include, returns all the schema components in the included document
(expanded recursively, of course). Then use the XPath union operator ("|")
to remove the duplicates:

<xsl:function name="f:getComponents" as="element(*)">
  <xsl:param name="schemaDocument" as="element(xs:schema)"/>
  <xsl:sequence select="
     xs:element | xs:attribute | xs:complexType | xs:simpleType | ... |
     for $i in xs:include return
f:getComponents(document($i/@schemaLocation)/xs:schema)"/>
</xsl:function>

This works because XSLT gives you a guarantee that if you call document()
twice on the same absolute URI, you'll get the same nodes back each time,
which means that the union operator will eliminate duplicates.

Slightly more challenging is dealing with cyclic includes - it's not
entirely clear whether they are allowed or not, but they can happen.

There are other issues that can make merging difficult, for example if
elementFormDefault or other document-level attributes differ between an
including and an included schema document, then it's goinf to be quite
tricky to merge them.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/