Re: Schema Help

Hi Oknam,

The content of your app element is ambiguous and XML Schema does not
accept ambiguous content.
You have in gemapplication.xsd:
<xs:element name="app">
  <xs:complexType>
   <xs:sequence>
    <xs:element ref="dcq:audience" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
    <xs:element ref="gemq:age" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>

Now suppose the document contains inside app a gemq:age element. This
element can be matched by
<xs:element ref="dcq:audience" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
because the age element can substitute audience, see the definition of
the age element in gemq.xsd:
<xs:element name="age" substitutionGroup="dcq:audience"/>
Also, as minOccurs on
<xs:element ref="dcq:audience" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
is zero the age element can be also matched by the second particle:
<xs:element ref="gemq:age" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
which refers directly to the age element, thus the ambiguity.

For more details in the spec about this see
http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/#cos-nonambig
http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/#non-ambig

In general the solutions to solve ambiguity problems are:
1. rewrite the content model in a non ambiguous way, for instance
instead of (a,b)|(a,c) one can write (a, (b|c))
2. relax the content model to allow more and enforce the constraint at
some other level (for instance you can use embedded Schematron rules or
place the constraint at application level).

Best Regards,
George
George Cristian Bina
http://www.oxygenxml.com