Re: Documents with both XSD and DTD

Christopher Milton <cmiltonperl@yahoo.com> writes:

> Can a document safely reference both a DTD (via <!DOCTYPE ... >)
> and an XML Schema Document?

Yes.

> And does a DTD require/allow an XML prolog?

Not sure what you mean by prolog.  An XML declaration, e.g.

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>

is optional for XML 1.0, required for XML 1.1.

> I keep getting well-formedness errors if the prolog is present. I
> thought that a DTD was SGML, but not XML, so no prolog was needed,
> but was told that since an external DTD was a parsed entity, then it
> must have a prolog.

Not so.

> I'm confused. And I may have the wrong venue.

For XML questions, yes, you'd be better on xml-dev.  Include the
beginning of your document, so people can see what the real problem
is.

                     Half-time member of W3C Team
            Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk