Re: Component representation of xs:group ref="x"

"Michael Kay" <mike@saxonica.com> writes:

<snip subject="(attribute) group refs and component model"/>

> This seems to cause further havoc when trying to interpret section 5.3
> (missing sub-components) and chameleon namespace behaviour. It seems to make
> it increasingly difficult to decide whether xs:include and xs:redefine
> operate on a set of schema components or on a set of XML representations.
>
> Have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Only a bit (if that's possible).

It's 3.7.2 [1] that gives you the mapping for <xs:group ref="..."/>.

There's no doubt the REC could and should be clearer about include,
import and redefine in particular, and schema composition in general.
We're working on that for XML Schema 1.1.  In the meantime, wrt
include and redefine, when in doubt, fall back to the clearly stated
intention that include is a convenience to encourage modularity, and
redefine is an officially blessed way of doing cut&paste, and do the
right thing.

ht

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xmlschema-1-20041028/#declare-namedModelGroup
                     Half-time member of W3C Team