From: xmlschema-dev-request@w3.org [mailto:xmlschema-dev-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Michael Kay
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2004 2:16 PM
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Subject: Attribute Wildcards (another try)

I submitted the following question a couple of weeks ago and got no
response. Perhaps the people who know were on holiday, so I'll try again...

Normally, if a complex type references two attribute groups, then the
attributes permitted on an element are the union of those permitted by the
two attribute groups.

But if the two attribute groups both contain attribute wildcards, the
attributes permitted  are the intersection of what's allowed by the two
wildcards (i.e. an attribute has to match both).

However, if one complex type containing an attribute wildcard extends
another complex type also containing an attribute wildcard, then the
attributes permitted are the union of what's allowed by the two wildcards.

Have I got it right?

And if so, can someone please explain the reasoning?

Michael Kay