Re: XML Schema:

>> Can you provide a link to any documents which describe the hows and whys
of designing XML documents?

I'm not the best source on that.  You might try the xml-dev mailing list
(see http://www.xml.org/xml/xmldev.shtml) or else Robin Covers XML pages,
which have extensive lists of references on all matters XML
(http://xml.coverpages.org/xml.html).  The advice I gave on "good" XML was
based on some general principles I've picked up working with knowledgeable
people, and also on personal preference.  Within reason, making markup
explicit is generally a good thing to do, and again within reason, that
includes making explicit semantically interesting groupings of
information.  Again, that's my personal opinion, and I think the opinion
of many others who work with XML. I suggest the references above for
further exploration of good practice in the use of XML.

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142