Re: Schema DataType propagation to XML Application

On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 07:55, Shirish Kulkarni wrote:
> As I understand, Schema validation ( on the basis of
> the structure and data types ) is done at the call to
> the parser.parse() method and when successful ( if the
> DOM Parser is used ) the DOM Tree representation is
> built.
>
> My questions are -
> 1) Does DOM tree representation hold the DataTypes' as
> described in the Schema used for the validation of the
> input XML ?

DOM Level 3 [1] defines an interface called TypeInfo.  This allows you
to obtain the name and namespace of the type used to validate the
element/attribute, assuming it was valid.

We have recently implemented this in Xerces C++, and it is available in
the recently released v2.2.

If you are looking at this, be aware that the DOM Level 3 document is a
Working Draft, and has very recently changed.  Tbe current implement is
based on the previous iteration [2].

> 2) if answer to 1) is YES, how to access these
> DataTypes using Xerces C++ parser ?

See the Xerces-C API docs [3]. If you require more information than name
and namespace then this is available through the SchemaGrammar and other
non-DOM interfaces.  Our developers have a good understanding of this
through our work on XPath 2 - they (and others) can probably help
further if you post to the Xerces-C mailing list
(xerces-c-dev@xml.apache.org)

Paul

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-3-Core/
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-DOM-Level-3-Core-20021022/
[3] http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/apiDocs/classDOMElement.html#z79_3
--
Paul Warren, Client Services           DecisionSoft Limited
+44-1865-203192                        http://www.decisionsoft.com