Regular expressions: confirmation needed

From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com>
Date: 27 Jun 2003 10:46:37 +0200
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org

Hi,

Many (most?) languages do accept octal and hex escapes (such as \x#20)
in regular expressions.

The rec is clear (IMO) that these escapes are not allowed (at least I
haven't found them in the EBNF for patterns) and Xerces agrees and
rejects them.

However, I have a customer who insists using them, saying that they are
mentioned in Microsoft's doc (but I haven't found where) and that MSXML
4.0 does accept them (which I can confirm).

Can you confirm that these escapes are forbidden and that numeric
entities should be used instead?

Thanks

Eric

--
Did you know it? Python has now a Relax NG (partial) implementation.
                                          http://advogato.org/proj/xvif/