Re: Defining data in reverse chronological order

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 16:44:10 -0400
To: "C Baines" <cbaines@westroadchurch.org.uk>
Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org

Charles Baines asks:

> Which returns to the question - can <sequence> define
> the order of elements by an attribute value common to
> each element without having to physically list the
> elements in the order required?

No, <sequence> constrains the order based striclty on
element name.  There have been proposals to add various
forms of what are collectively called co-occurrence
constraints, though I haven't seen many requests for
sorted sequences of the sort you suggest.  Of course,
there is no end to what users might want...prime numbered
entries first?  Sounds bizarre, but a mathematician
might want it.  Unless you're willing to move away from
a declarative language to something Turing complete
(I.e. a full programming language for the constraints),
you'll always wind up trying to make reasonable tradeoffs
between complexity in the schema language and its
ability to express complex constraints.  I think many
of us have a very strong preference for retaining a
language that's basically declarative, as it is so
much easier to reason about and build tools for
such languages.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142