Re: Looking for some ideas...

At 2003-05-31 15:01 -0600, COLEEN ANDERSON wrote:
>I'm a student studying XML schemas and I'm still fairly new at them, as
>well as XML.  I'm writing my senior thesis on them and I need a little
>help with some ideas of what kind of a schema I should develop.  I want to
>develop one that is useful, but I'm not sure what I should create one
>for.  I would gladly welcome any suggestions.

When developing examples, I often find self-referential approaches to be
illuminating as the reader is then working with the end result of the
technology being described and can actually see the results of it having
been in action.

Perhaps you could write schemas for your thesis prose and practice with
namespaces by using alternate vocabularies for embedded tables of
information captured as part of your research.  You could then write XSLT
stylesheets to produce XSL-FO output that is then formatted to a PDF
deliverable, all documented in a colophon as an informative annex to the
thesis.

Your proof of understanding and illumination is then in the hands of the
reader!

I hope this helps.

............... Ken

--
Upcoming hands-on courses: (registration still open!)
-      (XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO) North America: June 16-20, 2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:    http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/bc