From: Dave Carlson [mailto:dcarlson@ontogenics.com]
Sent: Friday, January 31, 2003 11:32 AM
To: Roger L. Costello; xmlschema-dev@w3.org; Case,David W.
Subject: Re: Opinion of UML-to-XML Schema?

Hi Roger,

I've been working on this topic for more than three years, so am also
interested in the comments of others.  See my site, with a dozen papers and
two recent newsletters on this topic: http://XMLmodeling.com

Also, in addition to generating XSD from UML, I'm am finding very good
results from reverse engineering UML models and class diagrams from
data-oriented XML schemas.  See the UML diagrams in Annex C of this week's
Universal Business Language (UBL) release, which were automatically reverse
engineered using my hyperModel tool:
    http://oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/lcsc/0p70/

Per the comments from Tony Coates in a followup message, it's a bit
difficult to use existing UML tools to design schemas similar to what can be
hand-crafted.  However, I am working on a hybrid tool that will make this
easier.  The UML metamodel is used for the underlying representation and
storage, but the user interface makes it easy to edit the model in terms of
XSD constructs.

Regards,
  Dave Carlson