Re: xsd:choice between simpleContent and an element

Paul,

Yeah - not exactly what I wanted. What I ended up doing was:

         <xsd:complexType name="DistributedDouble" mixed="true">
                 <xsd:complexContent>
                         <xsd:extension base="BaseDouble">
                                 <xsd:sequence minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="1">
                                         <xsd:element name="Distribution"
type="BaseDistribution"/>
                                 </xsd:sequence>
                         </xsd:extension>
                 </xsd:complexContent>
         </xsd:complexType>
         <xsd:complexType name="BaseDouble" mixed="false">
                 <xsd:simpleContent>
                         <xsd:extension base="xsd:double">
                                 <xsd:attribute name="type" use="optional">
                                         <xsd:simpleType>
                                                 <xsd:restriction
base="xsd:string">
                                                         <xsd:enumeration
value="double"/>
                                                 </xsd:restriction>
                                         </xsd:simpleType>
                                 </xsd:attribute>
                                 <xsd:attributeGroup ref="SimpleAttributes"/>
                         </xsd:extension>
                 </xsd:simpleContent>
         </xsd:complexType>

and

<xsd:complexType name="BaseDistribution">
         <xsd:sequence>
             <xsd:element name="LowerBound" type="AEEDouble" minOccurs="0"/>
             <xsd:element name="Mean" type="AEEDouble"/>
             <xsd:element name="Median" type="AEEDouble" minOccurs="0"/>
             <xsd:element name="StandardDeviation" type="AEEDouble"
minOccurs="0"/>
             <xsd:element name="UpperBound" type="AEEDouble" minOccurs="0"/>
         </xsd:sequence>
     </xsd:complexType>

I then have derived extensions form "BaseDistribution" that I can control
by using the xsi:type attribute in teh <Distribution/> element.

The things that this doesn't do that I want is that when an item is defined
as type="DistributedDouble" and it does NOT have the Distributed element as
a child and has text instead, I can't control that that text is in face of
type xsd:double. I also can't seem to control that if the text exists, then
the element MUST have a @type attribute.. oh well. This is pretty close though.

One thing is that this works great with xerces java 2.2 sax and dom
parsers, but XMLSpy bails on it. XMLSpy insists that an element of type
"DistributedDouble" MUST NOT have a text child. I thought (and xerces does
too) that the mixed="true" attribute of the DistributedDouble type would
allow that...

Thanks for your input!

- Jeremy

Jeremy Vander Kam