RE: referencing a schema fails

On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 15:00, John Haber wrote:

> Make this:
>
>   xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.w3schools.com artml.xsd"
> <<
>
> Oh, darn, I do apologize.  That's actually what I had.  I edited it out just
> now by mistake when I posted my reply this morning, and I meant a follow-up.
> I feel that you all have helped enormously, but mostly by making me undo
> experiments I keep trying to "correct" what I had learned was right, given
> the failure that the right answer was giving me.

OK, so is this working now, or not?  If not, please post the offending
schema and instance as attachments and I'll see what I can do.

> I thought it might just be that Peter's XML doesn't support schemas
> properly, but I tried something else as well.  I uploaded my test schema to
> a corner of my Web site, and I altered the location above accordingly.  Then
> I went to the STG site at Brown University.  This one didn't stop with the
> message that I had no schema or dtd associated with the root element.
> Instead, it gave a long string of errors for undefined elements -- starting
> with the root element.  Of course, I can't promise you that this site
> supports schema rather than a dtd either.

That site doesn't claim to do schema validation.  If you want a site
that does XML Schema validation try:

   http://tools.decisionsoft.com/schemaValidate.html

or Henry Thompson's XSV:

  http://www.w3.org/2001/03/webdata/xsv

As for schemas being less widely acknowledged than DTDs, well, that
depends on who you ask and what you want to do.  Our clients wouldn't
even consider DTDs as a starting point as they simply do not have the
required functionality (datatyping, namespace support, XML based
syntax).

Paul
--
Paul Warren, Client Services           DecisionSoft Limited
+44-1865-203192                        http://www.decisionsoft.com