Re: Question on current XMLSchema.xsd

Dear Mr. Thompson,

I am using a validator that I wrote myself. And it successfully validates
the schema for schemas now! I plan to release it next week as open source.

For the test I had to do the following adjustments on XMLSchema.xsd

1. I changed the targetNamespace of XMLSchema.xsd
  <xs:schema
    targetNamespace="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchemaTest"
    blockDefault="#all"
    elementFormDefault="qualified"
    version="1.0"
    xmlns:xsTest="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchemaTest"
    xml:lang="EN"
    xmlns:hfp="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-hasFacetAndProperty">

2. I changed all references to symbols in the xs namespace to xsTest
(find-replace of ["xs:] with ["xsTest:]

3. I introduced a defintion of anySimpleType using the built-in simple type:

	<xs:simpleType name="anySimpleType">
		<xs:restriction base="xs:anySimpleType"/>
	</xs:simpleType>

4. I had to adjust the definition of the decimal type. After the
replacements of step 2 the decimal type was derived from anySimpleType. Therefore none
of the "numeric" facets (digits, fractionDigits, totalDigits) was applicable.
I changed the definition to use the built-in decimal type as its base type.

After these for adjustments I could read in the schema for schema. In order
to validate it, I had to created a copy and change the xs namespace to the
xsTest namespace:

<xsTest:schema
  targetNamespace="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchemaTest"
  blockDefault="#all"
  elementFormDefault="qualified"
  version="1.0"
  xmlns:xsTest="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchemaTest"
  xml:lang="EN"
  xmlns:hfp="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-hasFacetAndProperty">

 <xsTest:annotation>
  <xsTest:documentation>
    Part 1 version: Id: XMLSchema.xsd,v 1.50 2002/05/22 09:24:24 ht Exp
    Part 2 version: Id: datatypes.xsd,v 1.54 2002/05/27 22:22:50 ht Exp
  </xsTest:documentation>
 </xsTest:annotation>
  2400 more lines...
  </xsTest:schema>