RE: XMLSchema.xsd question

MSXML 4 already provides mechanisms for validating schemas (i.e. load them into the schema cache). The schema for Schema (sForS) does things that are not allowed by the W3C XML Schema recommendation [restricting xs:anySimpleType is one of these things] and the W3C XML Schema working group has not issued a normative declaration as to how to treat the sForS when used to validate schema documents.

 -----Original Message-----
 From: David.Cantrell@Gunter.AF.mil [mailto:David.Cantrell@Gunter.AF.mil]
 Sent: Fri 10/25/2002 7:52 AM
 To: xmlschema-dev@frink.w3.org
 Subject: XMLSchema.xsd question

 Hi all,

 I just subscribed to this list, and have seen some related info in the
 archives, but nothing quite answered my question.

 I am pretty new to the whole schema thing and want to make sure I get things
 right. I want to create a simple schema validator using Windows Scripting
 and MSXML 4.0 that I can use locally on our systems here to validate the
 schema we are starting to create.

 I've written a very straightforward one that takes a schema file and
 validates it against XMLSchema.xsd found at
 <http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema.xsd>.

 Now, I've used both the URI reference as well as downloaded the
 XMLSchema.xsd and XMLSchema.dtd files, but I keep getting this really
 bizarre error:

     file: //c:/usr/bin/XMLSchema.xsd#schema[1]/simpleType[position() = 22
 and @name='hexBinary']/restriction[1]
     WhiteSpace constraining facet is prohibited.

 This apparently refers to the simpleType "hexBinary" starting at line 1669.
 At line 1688 is the restriction that fails:

     <xs:whiteSpace value="collapse" fixed="true"
       id="hexBinary.whiteSpace"/>

 Is this restriction vital to the schema? Should it be removed? Or am I doing
 something wrong?

 FYI the test case was validating the schema against itself.

 Thanks in advance,
 -dave