Re: What is the meaning of the import statement?

"Milan Trninic" <mtrninic@galdosinc.com> writes:

> I was actually surprised by the simple answer I've got from you Simon that
> I've completelly forgot the initial problem I've started from. Slightly
> modified drawing is attached.
> In essence if I wa to create an application location schema, and try to
> import weather and transportation, the validation will fail.
> Once the base schema is imported through environment schema, it will not be
> imported again through transportation one. So a needed subset of the base
> schema will be ignored.
> If I use your solution Simon, that means that I have to analyze all schemas
> that I work with and find all dependencies on other schemas (namespaces) and
> create stubs for each of them.
> Now, this exactly is the reason I've mentioned scalability in one of the
> first emails. Once there are large "networks" of dependant schemas, it is
> not going to be easy for an application depveloper to analyze manually ALL
> schemas in the network that his schema depends on. Don't you think so?

This is a good point about a complex situation.  It suggests that a
helpful strategy for processors would be to operate the 'ignore
subsequent import' strategy _within single schema documents only_, so
that in your example the imports in the two second-level docs would
both be processed.  I'll take a look at what would be involved in
doing that for XSV.

Bottom line, however: there was no way the WG could envisage all the
usage patterns which would develop, so in 1.0 we adopted a minimalist
strategy.  We should return to this question for 1.1.

1.1 requirement candidate, in my view: Revisit schema location
strategy, at least wrt multiple <xs:import> for same NS in separate
schema documents.