RE: Element declararion

You'll have to give us a little more to go on. Is this a question of the
element being present or of an element having required content?

If it's the former, then Andy's response is correct. If it's the latter,
then it depends on the type of the element's content. If it has element
content, then Andy's answer applies similarly: specify that the element and
its content are required (minOccurs >= "1").

If it is simple content, e.g., containing a string, you can specify in the
minLength facet the minimum number of characters that would be required
(e.g., minLength="1").

Mark Feblowitz
XML Architect
       [t]   617.715.7231