RE: What good is Restriction?

It is also perhaps worth noting that "derivation
by restriction" is not supported in all OO environments.
For example, most of what you can do in XSD restriction
can only be accomplished using "constraints" in UML.
And this requires an add-on constraint language,
such as OCL, which is not part of UML itself.

In fact the formal notion of derivation-by-restriction
- a formally defined fully valid subset -
might be seen as a significant additional capability
provided by XSD which is an enhancement to standard
object meta-models.

_____
[This mail represents part of a discussion of work in progress
and should not be used for any purpose without my permission.]
_____
Simon.Cox@csiro.au  CSIRO Exploration & Mining
26 Dick Perry Avenue, Kensington WA 6151
PO Box 1130, Bentley WA 6102  AUSTRALIA
T: +61 (8) 6436 8639  F: +61 (8) 6436 8555  C: +61 (4) 0330 2672
http://www.csiro.au/page.asp?type=resume&id=CoxSimon