Re: Why doesn't this instance document validate?

"Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com> writes:

> Of course, note that the W3C XML Schema notion of qualified (has a
> namespace) is different from the meaning of qualified in almost all
> other contexts involving XML including the Namespaces in XML
> recommendation where qualified means "has a prefix".

Um, not on my reading.  Here's the formal definition of 'qualified
name', excerpted from the REC [1]

  "[Definition:] In XML documents conforming to this specification,
  some names (constructs corresponding to the nonterminal Name) may be
  given as *qualified names*, defined as follows:

   Qualified Name

    [6] QName ::= (Prefix ':')? LocalPart

You will note that the prefix+colon is optional.  This is consistent
with usage in the rest of the document, although somewhat confusingly
on this account unprefixed attributes are none-the-less qualified
names.

I'm pretty sure that I'm not alone in my usage, summarised as follows:

 prefixed name:  name consisting of two NCNames separated by a colon (:)
 qualified name: prefixed name appearing as element or attribute name
                 unprefixed name appearing as element name in scope of
                  default NS declaration

The XSLT/XPath use of QName is as per attribute names; The W3C XML
Schema usage is as per element names.

ht

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/#ns-qualnames