RE: Complex content extension

Hello Michael,

Yes, as you expect, both the "bar" and "bar-2" types in your schema are
invalid.  The {attribute uses} of a complex type derived by extension is
the union of the attribute declarations in the type definition itself
with the {attribute uses} of the base type.  Since there can be no
duplicate attributes (based on qualified name) in {attribute uses}, it
is an error.

In some cases XSV doesn't find schema errors until you attempt to
validate an instance against the schema.  When you try to validate an
element of type bar or bar-2, XSV gives the appropriate error message:

<schemaError char='3' line='8' phase='instance'
resource='file:/C:/Program Files
/XSV/schema1.xsd'>attempt to extend with an attribute already declared
{{None}:a
}</schemaError>

Hope that helps,
Priscilla

Priscilla Walmsley             priscilla@walmsley.com
Author, Definitive XML Schema     (Prentice Hall PTR)