From: Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com [mailto:Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2001 5:28 PM
To: Henry S. Thompson
Cc: Jeff Rafter; vdv@dyomedea.com; xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Subject: Re: Date

Henry Thompson writes:

>> I actually find it pretty surprising that
>> your users think 12:00:00Z is
>> different from 13:00:00+1

Well, only on the very practical sense that they may wish to ask:  "In
what time zone was the time recorded?    Roughtly, did you write that at

noon in Boston or 5PM in the UK?  If I put a time on a draft of a
technical report, for example, certain users will feel that something is

lost if I record it as 3PM in whatever timezone, and it comes back as
1AM
in some other (presuming someone has read in the value and rewritten as
canonical, for example.)  It's not broken, just doesn't always do what
you
might want or expect.  By the way, this should not be taken as a comment

reflecting the needs of Lotus users in particular (that was true of the
other comment on legal changes affecting timezones.)  I have just seen
various correspondents on our mailing lists presume that the time zone
was
reflected in the value space, and wanted to clarify.

>> ...when there were 25 disjoint value spaces.

I don't remember that in detail, but you are probably right.  I thought
remembered a proposal to explictly add the timezone as a field in a
tuple
representing the value in what I took to be a single value space.
Presumably, that would have led to the equality relation (enumeration
facet, etc.) requiring a timezone match.  I also think but am not sure
that we would have had some freedom in defining ">" and "<">

In any case, all of that is history, and I certainly have no need to
pursue this issue.  Whatever the merits, it was debated quite clearly at

the appropriate time, and the schema WG made a decision that is
reasonable, though probably not the one I would have made.  I don't
think
there is any new information since then.  I was merely trying to clarify

for readers of schema dev the way that timezones do and don't affect the

semantics, and unfortunately I somewhat confused things by giving a
partially bogus clarification.

So, unless others want to continue, I think we can let this go.  Thanks
very much.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142