Re: redefinition errors

MarkH@i2.co.uk writes:

> [...]

Start with the illustration I've already supplied, with a few more
details filled in:

<xs:schema xmlns="http://www.example.com/bibl"
           targetNamespace="http://www.example.com/bibl">
 <xs:complexType name="bibItem">
  <xs:sequence>                                                *1*
    <xs:element name="author" type="person"/>
    <xs:element name="title" type="xs:string"/>                *2*
  </xs:sequence>
 </xs:complexType>

 <xs:complexType name="person">
  <xs:sequence>                                                *1*
   . . .
   <xs:element name="title" type="xs:NMTOKEN"/>                *2*
   . . .
  </xs:sequence>
 </xs:complexType>
</xs:schema>

This is _still_ OK.  Here's an instance:

 <bi xsi:type="bibItem">
           . . .
    <title>Ma Vie en Rose</title>
    . . .
 </bi>

The two 'title' elements have different types, but because they come
from different content models that's not a problem.

Note this is not a lexical scope issue in the programming language
sense -- it would still be OK if the schema looked like this:

<xs:schema xmlns="http://www.example.com/bibl"
           targetNamespace="http://www.example.com/bibl">
 <xs:complexType name="bibItem">
  <xs:sequence>                                                    *1*
    <xs:element name="author">
     <xs:complexType>
      <xs:sequence>                                                *1*
       . . .
       <xs:element name="title" type="xs:NMTOKEN"/>                *2*
       . . .
      </xs:sequence>
     </xs:complexType>
    </xs:element>
    <xs:element name="title" type="xs:string"/>                    *2*
  </xs:sequence>
 </xs:complexType>

</xs:schema>

There are two distinct content models here (the ones labelled *1*) so
the two same-name-same-NS-different-type element decls at *2* are
_not_ conflicting.

But if it looked like this:

<xs:schema xmlns="http://www.example.com/bibl"
           targetNamespace="http://www.example.com/bibl">
 <xs:complexType name="bibItem">
  <xs:sequence>                                                    *1*
    <xs:element name="..."/>
    <xs:choice>
     . . .
    <xs:element name="title" type="xs:NMTOKEN"/>                   *2*
     . . .
    </xs:choice>
    . . .
    <xs:element name="title" type="xs:string"/>                    *2*
  </xs:sequence>
 </xs:complexType>

</xs:schema>

this would be broken, because the two same-name-same-NS-different-type
declarations at *2* are in the _same_ content model (there's only *1*
left).

Help?