RE: redefinition errors

Not sure I understand this as it seems to imply that I could have a root tag
(== document) which is a complex type (ie has complex content) without an

Or is it that you are saying that the scope does not go outside a single
root tag, which would be consistent with what you've shown below (ie bibItem
and person are root tags)?

[...]
> the following is just fine:
>
> <xs:schema ...>
>  <xs:complexType name="bibItem">
>   <xs:sequence>                                                *1*
>     <xs:element name="title" type="xs:string"/>                *2*
>   </xs:sequence>
>  </xs:complexType>

>  <xs:complexType name="person">
>   <xs:sequence>                                                *1*
>    . . .
>    <xs:element name="title" type="xs:NMTOKEN"/>                *2*
>    . . .
>   </xs:sequence>
>  </xs:complexType>
> </xs:schema>
>
> The two particles (= content models, given where they occur) marked
> *1* are distinct contexts, so the two element declarations marked *2*
> are just fine, even though they share a name and target namespace,
> but their types are manifestly not the same.

So just to confirm that I've got it now... am I right to conclude that once
we've reached a <sequence> I'm stuffed? That is, once I've got something
like

<items>
 <sequence>
  <elements>
 </sequence>
</items>

Then there is nowhere within the children of that sequence that it will be
possible to have same name elements of different type?

Thanks

Mark
--
Mark Hughes