Re: Can the schema change the namespace in the instance?

Robert Braddock <stormwarden@bigfoot.com> writes:

> > position that NS declarations are not attributes, and in any case does
>
> Yeah, I thought so.
>
> > > I'm trying to use schemas without having to
> > > incur too much cruft, like explicitly qualifying everything and having to
> > Local element declarations can give you the effect you're seeking, see
> > the Primer [2].
>
> Do you mean I should turn off qualification and not qualify any non-global
> elements in the instance doc? I guess I misinterpreted the usefulness of
> qualification. If I can only usefully use a schema with a single global
> element, and this is the only way to have a normal inclusion without messing
> up instance documents, are the W3C schemas going to keep this in mind? I
> don't see any recommendations on this in the primer. Or does the W3C intend
> for us to move to explicitly qualifying and declaring every little detail?

There is significant difference of opinion within the WG as to what
the preferred style is.  There have been some lengthy threads on
XML-DEV under Roger Costello's "Best Practices" banner discussing this
issue.  I don't expect a single style will suit everyone, or be
unequivocally recommended.

> > See the XSV status page [3] for information about which branches are
> > current for which files.
>
> Ah, ok, I found that one parenthetical comment you are referring to. I must
> have missed it when I was setting it up last week. Is there an XSV option to
> produce the qualified and defaulted instance doc after validation?

No, although writing a stylesheet to produce this from the reflected
PSVI is a project on my stack.

> (what are the -k -w -r arguments

-k keep going, i.e. try to validate even if compile-time errors in the
   schema(s) are found

-w show warnings (xsi:type and a few other things) -- more like
   debugging notices than warnings

-r produce reflected PSVI output

-t show timing splits

> and what is the "profile" it can output anyway?)

Python execution profiling, see the Python documentation.  Again, this
is really developer debugging information.