Schema at XML namespace URI to change

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Date: 22 Oct 2000 13:06:57 +0100
To: XML Developers List <xml-dev@xml.org>
In accord with a decision of the XML Schema Working Group, I have just
changed the XML Schema document at
http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace.xsd to one using the current XML
Schema syntax, that is, I have changed it from

<schema xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema" ...

<schema xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema" ...

A version using the old syntax has been placed at
http://www.w3.org/2000/04/xml.xsd, for importing by schema documents
still using the http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema namespace and
corresponding syntax.

The schema document http://www.w3.org/1999/part2.xsd (<include>d by
http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema.xsd) has accordingly been edited to
read

<import namespace="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"
        schemaLocation="http://www.w3.org/2000/04/xml.xsd">

Bottom line:  if you're still working with XML Schema documents using
the http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema namespace, _and_ you <import> the
XML namespace (http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace) directly, you
should change your <import> statements to read as above.  If you do
not use the XML namespace directly, but only indirectly via the schema
for schemas at http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema.xsd, you don't need to
do anything.

This is part of a retrospective cleanup of location of schema
documents for well-known namespaces, trying to apply the following
policy:

  There will always be an up-to-date schema document at the namespace
  URI, which will change when XML Schema changes
  (e.g. http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace);

  There will always be an _unchanging_ schema document at dated URL
  under www.w3.org (e.g. http://www.w3.org/2000/04/xml.xsd,
  http://www.w3.org/2000/10/xml.xsd)