Re: xmlschema does not support principle of substitutability of subty pe for its supertype

Thanks for the answers.  I will try the substitutionGroup.
Could you be more specific regarding 'various namespace-related problems'?
I admit to not having read all of the specs, and trying to get a schema
working by reading only part of the specs.  So RTFM with some pointers
is an acceptable answer.  :-)

On Thursday, November 30, 2000, at 06:45 AM, Henry S. Thompson wrote:

> There are various namespace-related problems with your example files
> as they stand at the moment, but correcting for those, the principle
> you are addressing is clear and the problem likewise:  type
> substitutability is not the same as element substitutability.
> (Element) substitution groups provide the functionality you want.
>
> Make all your vertebrates substitutable for Vertebrate (:-) and your
> problem will be solved:
>
> <xsd:element name="Bird" type="BirdType" substitutionGroup="Vertebrate"/>
> <xsd:element name="BirdOfPrey" type="BirdOfPreyType" substitutionGroup="Bird"/>
> etc.
>
> You'll probably also want to make at least Vertebrate, if not Bird
> etc. as well, abstract='true'.
>
> ht
> --
>   Henry S. Thompson, HCRC Language Technology Group, University of Edinburgh
>           W3C Fellow 1999--2001, part-time member of W3C Team
>      2 Buccleuch Place, Edinburgh EH8 9LW, SCOTLAND -- (44) 131 650-4440
> 	    Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk

Michael Burns                        email: Michael.Burns@sas.com
Principal Systems Developer           home: mburns@bga.com
Metadata Integration Technology      voice: (512)258-5171x3264
SAS Institute, Inc.                    fax: (512)258-3906
11920 Wilson Parke Ave.                www: http://www.realtime.net/~mburns
Austin, TX 78726-4052                  sww: http://sww.sas.com/~sasmkb
"choose for yourselves today whom you will serve;...
 but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15