Re: XML Schema working with DTDs?

On 28 Apr 2000, Henry S. Thompson wrote:

> "Joseph M. Reagle Jr." <reagle@w3.org> writes:
>
> > What if I have a declaration and doctype so my examples also validate
> > against a DTD? I can't find the DTD nor XSD within [1] and any reference to
> > them seems to cause errors ... ?
> >
> > [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-xmlschema-1-20000407/
>
> No problem using both DTD and schema.  The schema for schemas does so.
> There are pointers to the DTD [1] and schema for schemas [2] very near
> the top of the above spec.

I think this statement is a bit misleading.  There are lots of technical
caveats to getting DTDs and XML Schemas to work together on one document
simultaneously.  The more complex the schema gets, the more difficult the
DTD may be come to generate.

In addition, if you add the careful "dance" that you must do to get the
prefixes to work properly, I would say that, besides simple documents,
there are lots of problems.

It would be more correct to say:

  "You may be able to use a DTD via a DOCTYPE statement at the same time
   as using an XML Schema if you carefully execute the authoring of the
   document with a number of caveats in mind.  This caveats are: ..."

R. Alexander Milowski           FAX: (707) 598-7649           alex@milowski.com

 considered."