RE: SOAP primer

Adding a bit to Gudge's response:

The primer is, of course, not the normative specification.  In the actual
SOAP Framework Recommendation we do say [1]:

"In previous versions of this specification the SOAP name was an acronym.
This is no longer the case. "

Thus, in SOAP 1.2, we do make clear that the term SOAP is no longer an
acronym for anything.

Why?   Well , in earlier versions it was Simple Object Access Protocol. As
we gradually realized that SOAP was not primarily for Object Access (it's
for messaging between services that may or may not be implemented as
objects), that acryonym definition came to seem outright misleading.  So,
our choice was:  make up a completely new name, or keep SOAP and drop the
acronym interpretation.  We went for the latter.  SOAP was already a very
well known term, and it's obviously quite catchy.

Noah

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-part1/#intro

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation