Re: issue 227

Stuart,

Sorry if my summary was overly cryptic.  I believe the editors will
probably be clearer in their prose, but they should also note your
comment.  My clarifications are in-line below.

Williams, Stuart wrote:

> Mark,
>

>>Regarding issue 227 on the SOAP issues list, the following four
>>findings obtain:
>>* Bindings may specify that features are mandatory.
>>

> The lack of any distinction between mandatory 'provision' and mandatory
> 'use' is not addressed by this clause. Mandatory provision has always been
> an aspect of the framework, so I assume that this should be taken as
> meaning: "Bindings may specify that the *use* of particular features is
> mandatory." Is that correct?

<maj>correct</maj>

>>* We need to sweep through the spec to ensure that the above point is
>>
> clear.
>
> :-)

<maj>:-)</maj>

>>* We will leave 'web method' as a mandatory feature of the http binding.
>>

> The status quo is mandatory provision... which is fine. Mandatory use... I
> have seen no justification for such a constraint.

<maj>'Mandatory' here means provision.  'use' is discretionary.</maj>

>>* It is possible for a binding to make all features optional.
>>

> Again could be clearer about 'use' or 'provision'.

<maj>This was added to ensure that a binding could be specified
(provision) to have no obligatory features.  In this case, 'use'
would have to likewise follow 'provision'.</maj>

--
Mark A. Jones
AT&T Labs

email: jones@research.att.com